Sunday, May 31, 2009

Cover Stitch Conundrum



Since I got the serger, I figured a whole new world of knits had just opened up to me. I'd stayed away from them with a regular sewing machine--stuff always looked, well, bad. Chalk it up to inexperience or not having the right equipment--or both.

Today I had the courage to serge (mostly) this cute little top, and I'm almost completely pleased with it. I really, really dug what the serger can do on this type of fabric. When it came to the hem, though, the instructions recommended switching to the regular sewing machine and using a double needle. Easy enough, I've done it before. The finished product, though, feels less than permanent. Sure, it stretches, but the stretch feels finite waaaay before it should--like it might snap if you pulled too hard or too quick. Another type of machine--a cover stitch serger--is what's needed to make those nifty hems I see on ready-to-wear t-shirts. It can't be created by anything I currently own. My friend checked into the cost of such a machine, and, well...it's gosh-darned expensive! Oh, the tragedy.

Is it wrong to want one more machine? Is it wrong to think, "Only then will my sewing world be complete?" Naw, probably not. For now, I'm super excited over the serger. And, I think I'm gonna stick to wovens for a while!

3 comments:

  1. Wowza!
    Where you goin' hotstuff?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna hear Joey from Friends in my head everytime I wear this very booby shirt, saying, "How you doin'?!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sassley -- Matissta and I saw you in your new top yesterday as we passed by in the car while you were with your dog. I said to her, "That's a nice top. Wonder if it's new?"

    Like the photo you accompanying this post. I think I have the same ironing board cover.

    ReplyDelete