Friday, January 8, 2016

Feelin' the BERN

A total different kind of Bern than what you're used to seeing in the news (i.e., a Bernina sewing machine, not Bernie Sanders!)...

Wednesday, I took off work to drive up to Philly and go get that sweet Bernina 1030 sewing machine.  I asked my sewing confident, Denise, to ride with me...and before I knew it my entire work crew was coming along for the ride!

We had so much fun!  First, we stopped by the Craigslist house to buy the machine.  The gal was a little younger than me and she was trying to liquidate her mom's estate as she'd passed away recently--ugh!  We went to a four-story row house in the western part of the city.  The house was old and gorgeous inside.  I felt sad for her situation, as I'd just been through it last year, and my best friend Patti is going through the same estate struggles now with her mom's house.

I picked up the sewing machine after sewing a few stitches on it, and then we were off to the Italian Market on 9th Street, not far away.  We picked up some Italian delicacies (including pastries!) and then made a beeline to Jomar, land of super-discounted fabric.





 Celery root from the Italian Market.  This stuff makes GOOD soup!














The bakery....oh my!  The smell!!!













 The Pope requested these smores!

















Janice buying olives!

















 Denise buying hoards of $1/yard fabric at Jomar.















No trip to Philly would be complete without a cheese steak.  John's was pretty good, and it was just around the corner from Jomar.


The Gang after stuffing ourselves with cheese steaks! (Dave, honorary lady for the day.)






 



 Denise and her lovely cheese steak (with sharp provolone...who knew?).














When I got home, just out of curiosity, I searched Ebay to see when was the last time this particular sewing machine came up for sale/auction.  Would you believe the answer was 2.5 years ago?  I got chills just thinking about how infrequently this machine comes onto the used market.  I figured someone(s?) knew I needed it and made sure I got to buy it.

Today I'm going to drag all my sewing gear out of it's existing water-risk situation and set up a whole new sewing area away from the house's plumbing!








No comments:

Post a Comment