Sunday, January 3, 2016

Small successes feel like huge leaps forward...

I have so much to tell you...

1.  Let's start with the water logged sewing machine.  It's still running.

2.  An hour ago, someone in Philly listed a Bernina 1030 for $675.  This is a steal and I wish I could drive there right now to buy it.

3.  In October of 2015, I made the first bodice (V1).  As you can see, I'm over-the-moon about the fit.  I need to work on bracing myself for the worst fit of my life right out of the gate on any pattern.  Alterations are ALWAYS required.  I'll say this--at least I didn't cry.

Yes, that's an upside-down elephant on my chest.  This fabric was originally purchased for Eli's bedroom curtains.  You're welcome.

The damned thing either doesn't come up high enough or doesn't come down low enough.  The pattern company did not make this dress for an Amazonian woman, simply put.

See my boobs almost popping out over the top?  OMG.   In addition, NONE of the seams were perpendicular to the floor (and they are supposed to be).













4.  A visit to Denise's house and several hours later, slashing and spreading V1 of the muslin resulted in V1.5, which fit much better.  We ended up adding 5 inches across the front of the bodice and adding 3 inches to the top and bottom of the front bodice pieces to give me more coverage.  My face is happier here, knowing that Denise is about to make me new pattern pieces based on the alterations we just made.  Still, things look a little lumpy.



















5.  It's now January of 2016 and I have about 10 weeks left to sew the dress.  I finished bodice V2 last night but had to rely on Craig to lace it up for me, which he did quite well but not tight enough (not pictured).  This left me with questions about additional fit alterations and a future low bust adjustment.  However, this afternoon I learned about something called bidirectional corset lacing on YouTube.  I quickly relaced my bodice according to the tutorial and, behold(!), I could now lace myself to achieve a tighter fit.  This solved most of my fit issues and I now think I just need about an inch more room at the very top of the bustline for everything to fall into place.  Just look at this dramatic before and after fit of the lace-up feature between bodice V1.5 and V2:

Bodice lace-up V1.5 after alterations to make it fit a little better.

Bodice lace-up V2!  I'm loving this.  It helps that there are now 8 loops for lacing (instead of 4).



Here's the bidirectional lacing applied to bodice V2.    I can pull those two long loops in the middle and tighten (and loosen to get out of!) the entire thing by myself.














Look at that smile.  I think we got it right!

All of these small successes FINALLY feel like a huge leap forward.  It's exciting to know I'm ready to start cutting and sewing the real wedding dress fabric.  :)  :)  :)

 



6.  Parting shot:  a cute picture of Denise's daughter, Eleanor, who is wearing my failed attempt at a bird cage veil.  It looks so much better on her!





No comments:

Post a Comment